Thursday, August 16, 2012

And So It Begins...


Although it's been 3 days, 2 nights, 2 ceremonies, and 1 exciting flight later, it still has yet to sink in that the long awaited day has finally come and passed, and that I am a proud citizen of my favorite place in the world. One word to describe my feelings over the last couple days: Wow. As cliche as it might sound these few days have been some of the most exciting, memorable, meaningful, and exhilarating I have ever experienced and I know that there are many more like these that will soon follow. I'll take you through my journey that although has just begun, has been the most incredible beginning chapter to my new life.



I'll start by relaying my feelings and thoughts that were reeling inside me as I was at JFK airport, only hours away from saying goodbye to some of my favorite people in the world and embarking on my own new life. The excitement was beyond anything I could describe to you although I will say that the level heightened as a boarded the plane and even more so when landing. Although I knew that saying goodbye would be the hardest part of this whole adventure, I was still so much looking forward to start this long awaiting chapter. Theoretically speaking, the flight was just the same as any other. What was different, though, was the energy that I am sure every person on that plane felt throughout the whole 10 hours. Just by sitting in my seat and looking around me I could tell that I was on a very special plane. As I gazed around I noticed that every person was different; They looked different, acted different, and spoke differently. All these people, though, had one thing in common that was shining right out of them that no one could miss: Their love for Israel. It was so obvious to me that through this common thread we all had a special connection by sharing this amazing moment together that would probably end up being in my top 5 moments of my life list. While I sat surrounded by people I had hardly known at that point, I felt so warm and welcomed because of the special connection we shared that I knew would never break, even if I never speak to some of these people in my life.

Landing was probably one of the most exhilarating things I have ever experienced. All of the 127 of us who are joining the IDF once here all sat together so right before take off we decided it would be a good idea to have a pillow fight with the pillows they give out. The only thought going through my head was "only on a Nefesh b'Nefesh charter flight". Walking onto the tarmac once we landed in Tel Aviv was really a dream come true. It was  even better than I imagined, a moment I had been playing in my mind for months before. What was even more moving was the amount of people who came to welcome the new Olim. When the buses drove up to the airport there were hundreds of people with cameras, Israeli flags, and signs welcoming us. That was what made me realize how appreciated we are and how much the citizens of Israel care about their new people. 



Once in the airport I was greeted by a great friend, Keren, who woke up at 4 am just to come welcome me! It was much appreciated and so nice to see a familiar face in an overwhelming crowd of people. I then spotted my grandparents walking in and automatically felt at home. Seeing them made me realize how much support I have here and I appreciative I am of that. The ceremony finally begun and it is safe to say that I was on cloud 9. Hearing the Prime Minister of Israel, Binyamin Netanyahu, salute the new olim and especially the ones who were to become soldiers was a once in a life time opportunity and I was so thankful to be part of this experience.


After the ceremony I finished at the airport and met my grandparents back at their apartment in Ramat Gan. I caught up on sleep and saw family which always makes me feel at home even more. The next day was the Garin Tzabar ceremony for the 350 American young adults who came to Israel to serve in the IDF (like me). Although the ceremony was long and included lots of Hebrew speeches I never lost my smile because I had such support who came to watch the ceremony. My grandparents, dear cousins/family friends, directors and staff of my gap year program, and even relatives of family friends back at home came to show their support and watch the ceremony. Just knowing that I have these people surrounding me gave me the confidence I need and reassured my decision of moving to Israel. I always feel at home here but familiar faces always helps.

After the ceremony we drove to Kibbutz Urim!!! So much to tell about that so stay tuned for the next blog post all about my move to a Kibbutz. Sorry for the babbling...just so much to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment